In 1902, New Jersey businessman George Wood started a small dairy processing plant in Wawa, PA that soon gained a reputation for producing and delivering the highest quality milk and cream products to the doorsteps of homes throughout the Philadelphia region. When the milk delivery business declined in the 1960s, Wood’s grandson Grahame Wood went on to open the first Wawa Food Market in 1964. Although originally intended as an outlet for Wood family dairy products, the food market soon grew into a Philadelphia tradition for built-to-order hoagies, fresh brewed coffee, hot breakfast sandwiches and convenient, ready-to-go soups, sides and snacks.
The Delaware-County, Pennsylvania based convenience store chain now has more than 750 locations throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and Central Florida and four in Center City with two coming soon.
Wawa’s newest Center City address in the bustling West Market Office District occupies the spacious ground floor of the 1900 Market Street office building and is the largest in the district. The 7,000 square foot space is equipped with 25 bar seats and a number of USB outlets for convenient, on-the-go charging. Wawa is a Philadelphia tradition, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for fresh food anytime.
April 13, 2018 | Philadelphia Will Soon Be Home to the Biggest Wawa in the World, Philadelphia Magazine
1900 Market Street
1707 Arch Street
912 - 916 Walnut Street
1300 Chestnut Street
1150 Market Street
150 South Independence Mall West