GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Center City District a private-sector business improvement district in Center City Philadelphia, seeks a qualified and motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with families and children to oversee activities at Sister Cities Park. To ensure the park rules and regulations followed in play and surrounding areas within the park, the Park Attendant oversees play at the pond, garden, and fountain, requests adherence to those rules and performs light maintenance of play areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Insures that park rules are followed;
- Skim debris from pond as needed throughout the shift;
- Keep pond, garden, fountain area tidy;
- Report problems immediately;
- Oversees the activities to create a safe environment for children.
These are the essential functions of the position, other duties may be assigned. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire job related skills and perform other work as required.
Health and Safety Protocol for the Attendant(s) and Visitors
The Park Attendant
- The Park attendant will be required to wear a mask at all times during their shifts. (Masks will be provided or you may bring your own to wear).
- Every Park attendant must have their temperature taken daily upon arrival.
- The Park attendant should report any of the criteria below to their supervisor prior to reporting to work.
- Any Park attendant member displaying any symptoms of illness should stay home.
- The Park attendants will be scheduled each day prior to facility opening to ensure the equipment and play areas are clean, safe, and ready to use.
- The Park attendant will record daily cleaning and disinfecting of all commonly used surfaces multiple times a day.**
- All the Park Attendants will wash their hands frequently during the day and follow the hand hygiene guidelines.
- The operation tech along with the Park Lead will ensure each facility is equipped with all necessary cleaning supplies and equipment.
- The Park attendant must ensure all COVID-19 related and social distancing signage is in place.
**There is currently a range of beliefs and opinions about Covid-19. It is likely that the precautions we are doing may be questioned or challenged. As the Park attendant, it will be important for you to communicate that the health and safety of users and staff is very important to the Center City District. You will need to explain the importance of the cleaning procedures as well as the necessity to close down the Pond/Discovery Garden area for routine cleaning and sanitizing, and that these protocols are the only way we can ensure that the park remains open
It will not always be possible to prevent visitors from coming in close contact with one another. Instead, the goal is to reduce the number of people in close contact in order to lower the risk of transmission. To assist with this we will limit the number of users in both the Earth Fountain and the Pond/Discovery Garden.
Pond/Discovery Garden (Max guest usage 65 people)
- A Park attendant will be stationed at the entrance to the Pond/Discovery Garden.
- The gates will be positioned in such a way the no one should be able to access this area without passing in front of the Park attendant.
- The Park attendant will encourage users to use the hand sanitizer station as they entered into this area.
- Users of this area are not permitted to bring toys or other items to share from home
- No food or drinks will be permitted in this area
- This entrance will be staffed at all times.
Engaging parents and visitors:
With the new limitations on the amount of users in different areas of the park, it is likely that at some point people will disagree with our policies or safety protocols. The Park attendant should not engage in agreeing or disagreeing with the visitor, but again state that we are following the outlined guidelines and cleaning protocols issued by the CDC. You should stay focused following the protocols and not getting into any debates or arguments.
- Remind users to be as socially distant as possible.
- Show them where the hand sanitizer stations are located and encourage usage of these.
- DO NOT try to physically engage users by any means, even if they are non-compliant. Call for a supervisor or Park Lead to address and defuse the situation. If at any point you feel threatened step away and call 911.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, college degree in Early Childhood Education preferred. A minimum of six months experience as parks attendant or related experience preferred.
- Some knowledge in water safety.
- General knowledge of routine maintenance procedures and techniques.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate effectively and politely.
- Well organized and disciplined.
- Ability to take the initiative when necessary.
- Ability to respond calmly to an emergency situation.
- Will need to work on some weekends.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation including criminal history and child abuse clearance, a reference check and physical and drug screening.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES & REGISTRATION
- Must have the ability to pass First Aid/CPR certification course.
- In order to perform the duties of the position you must have the ability to walk, stand, and sit for prolonged periods of time; to frequently stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb or balance, reach, twist, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to lift up to 50 lbs., carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight; to operate assigned equipment; to talk; and work in outside weather conditions.
Forward Resumes to:
Human Resources Department
Center City District
660 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
We are an EEO/AA employer. No phone calls please.