The beautiful Wissahickon Gate, at the Chestnut Street entrance to John F. Collins Park, was created by sculptor Christopher T. Ray (1937-2000). The animals and plants depicted on the gates are native to the Wissahickon and Delaware Valleys.
The Estuary Gate at the Ranstead entrance, also by sculptor Ray, is a tribute to the marshlands of New Jersey and Delaware, depicting moving water and islands, turtles and fish, a sky filled with migrating birds and sculpted reeds gently curved by the wind. The Fountain is a tribute to Native American totems.
The Center City District follows industry-recommended, best practices for proactive water-safety management of the fountains in John F. Collins Park, 1707 Chestnut Street; Sister Cities Park, 18th Street and Benjamin Franklin Parkway; and Dilworth Park at City Hall.
Using an authorized testing kit recommended by water treatment experts Klenzoid, Inc. of Conshohocken, CCD staff test the water in all fountains and water features twice a day in each park to insure there are no health or safety problems. In addition, Klenzoid, Inc. visits each park twice a week and independently takes samples of the water and sends them to a certified laboratory. The operating systems for each fountain mechanically control the level of chlorination and can be easily and immediately modified if any deficiencies are found in water quality.
Please note that since the fountain water is chlorinated it may not be safe for pets.